Saturday, May 22, 2010

Homo Studentus Universitatus in the wrong place at the wrong time

It seems that a small male grouping of the species was spotted walking, late one spring night, from town after devouring pizza (which is a basic staple of their diet) back to their hovel at the University when the creature, completely oblivious to his surroundings (thought he was back in Kansas aka Amherst) hid behind a tree and decided that the roots needed a little watering. Unfortunately, he was spotted by one of the small town’s finest, who’s mission is to quell any improper behavior in this little college town, and was slapped with a ticket and court date. The poor, naive creature was under the delusion that if he dons a tie and sport coat (which has been crumpled up in a bin underneath his bed since August) he will look like a responsible college dweller and they will go easy on him....

“How did you do today in court?” I asked, holding my breath. “Did you wear a nice shirt and comb your hair?” Exasperated, he says, “Mom, I could have shown up in my boxers and they would have given me the same fine. I can’t believe that I have to pay the same amount of money as a kid who was fooling around and ran out into the street, nearly causing a four car pile up!” Of course, I said what he didn’t want to hear, “Life isn’t always fair, dear.” While hanging up the phone I smiled to myself … another painful but important life lesson! (He would kill me if he knew I put this out there for all to read but he probably won’t find out because he doesn’t think I even know what a ‘blog’ is!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment